A quick and healthy dinner idea your family will love
Coming up with a quick and healthy dinner idea on busy week nights is one of the less fun parts of being a working mom. My husband and I both work full time, so getting healthy food on the table quickly is one of our life goals. We eat a lot of rotisserie chicken because it’s an easy source of ready-to-eat protein that can be used in a multitude of ways. One of my favorite quick and healthy dinner ideas is what I like to call the cheesy chicken skillet.
I created the cheesy chicken skillet one night after rummaging through the nearly empty fridge and freezer in an effort to throw something together for dinner.
Here’s why I love the cheesy chicken skillet:
- It takes only about 15 minutes to throw together, which is fantastic when you have ravenous children (and maybe a ravenous husband) rummaging through the cupboards like a pack of wolves.
- It’s a balanced meal, with healthy fat, protein, and veggies.
- You can customize it to fit your taste.
- A rotisserie chicken (or two if you have a large family)
- Two packets of 90 second rice. I love the spanish rice for extra flavor
- Frozen corn (about 1/2 a bag)
- Frozen peas (about 1/2 a bag)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
Add the olive oil, rice, frozen peas and frozen corn to a skillet. Cook over medium until heated through. Add shredded rotisserie chicken and mix to combine. Cover with shredded cheddar. Turn to low heat and cover until cheese is melted, about five minutes.
The Spanish rice gives this dish a ton of flavor, and is what I used in its original version. I also really like the chicken flavored brown rice as well. You can sub out rice for quinoa, but I would recommend adding some chicken bouillon for flavor (2 cubes would probably be enough). Other options include:
- Use two bags of riced cauliflower instead of rice, and swap the frozen corn and peas for a broccoli and carrots if you want a lower carb option.
- Swap out the peas for a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) and use pepper jack cheese for a Mexican cheesy chicken skillet.
- For an Italian version used canned diced tomatoes and diced onion for the veggie. Add basil and oregano to taste, then cover with mozzarella.
There are so many ways to change up this quick and healthy dinner idea, you can see why it’s a favorite at our house! Have some other options? I would love to hear them in the comments!